Pages

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Experiencing Sarsuela: Pilipinas Circa 1907

I don't feel like I've the 'authority' to write a review on Pilipinas Circa 1907 for the simple reason that I missed 1/4 of the show. However, I couldn't help myself to write something about my observations (and realizations after discussion with a friend) about the play (sarsuela) and the theater.
  • Pilipinas Circa 1907 has an easy-to-follow plot. Even if I arrived 30mins late (packing shit), I was still able to catch-up easily.
  • So we thought 'sarsuela' is dead... But it's a good thing that TP reaches out the 'traditional Filipino' theater to younger generations. I think younger generations are less-exposed to such kind of art. Unlike with people my age, we've at least experienced watching "Aawitan Kita."
  • Arnold Reyes is really a good actor. Even if he doesn't sing that well as compared with those musical-theater actor (and I didn't like the manner he recited the poem in one partof the sarsuela), he still knows his craft. His eyes expressed everything.
  • The sarsuela vividly pictured the status of the Philippines under the American regime - the cruelty of these colonizers and the immense number of sucker Filipinos.
  • I've always believed that I've a bit hearing disorder. So when I was trying to make sense with the lyrics of some parts of the sarsuela, I simply couldn't understand the words. Sadya bang malabo at medyo kinakain ng ibang mga aktor ang kanilang salita, o sadyang bingi lang ako? Apparently, my friend had the same observation (hind ako bingi! hehe). It had probably something to do with the sound system.
  • If you plan to watch a sarsuela, make sure you're not tired and you've slept well. I mean for some, the music might send them to sleep (with all the falsetto, artificial voice, and tremulo).
  • If you're watching a TP show, expect a number of students who were required by their teachers to watch the show. My friend noticed that during the first-half of the show, the students were quite disinterested and bored (which will really make you conclude that it was simply a requirement). However, at the latter-half, they slowly appreciated the sarsuela. So there's nothing wrong in sending or requiring your students to watch stage-plays (but guiding them is a must).
  • I'm not sure if I've mentioned it in this blog already. One thing I really appreciate about TP is the importance they give to audience - actors socialize with the audience after the show (buti na lang wala akong camera, baka nagpapicture ako kasama si Arnold bwahahahaha).
Today is the last day of Pilipinas Circa 1907's staging, 3pm. Catch it if you want to learn a bit of Spanish, know how sucker Filipinos are to American (even then), be aware of "bad English", know what "100 luha't ginhawa" is all about.

Next in Line for Tanghalang Pilipino: Mulan (check TP website for details)

0 comments: