Pages

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Higher Ground, Greater Challenges

Most of my batch mates (both in HS and College) have taken a higher step in their lives. Some are already working while some are looking for work. There are friends who've decided to work and nurture their lives abroad. We've taken different paths in order to create a life that we want. Yet, even if these things are signs that we've matured, there are still other things that I find we’re too young to get involved with.

Just last night, I realized that I am sort of sad of the "serye nang di inaasahang pagbubunits" among my classmates in High School. Of course, I am not sad about the idea of seeing them building a family. I am not sad about the idea of seeing new babies born. I am just sad that they would be missing things they should have experienced if they weren't in that situation.

We're just starting with our lives as professionals (for the lack of term). Two or three years after graduation won’t even be enough to help your family and to give your self a reward of sorts -- good and better paying job. We're still in the period of trying to find ourselves (for the lack of term again). We're in a period of trying to improve our lives. And, to have a partner and eventually have a family, or a kid and eventually a family at such point is not really recommendable (IMHO).

A friend and I were chatting the other night. We shared the same sentiment. We find that these young ladies have really great potentials and that marrying at a young age would limit, delay, or even hurdle their potentials. I remember him saying, "talagang walang progreso ang bansa. walang oportunidad ang mga tao." I must say that such could be one of the factors why a lot of young people marry at an early age. But of course, such should never be an excuse for anyone not to strive in making their lives better or struggle in creating an opportunity for themselves.

While watching the story of Michael de Mesa and Gina Alajar on the Buzz and S-Files (Disclaimer: I'm not a regular viewer, wala akong mapanood at iniintay ko ang pag-amin ni Bossing at ni Pia. Yuck ako!), I suddenly realized that their story reaffirms the idea that marrying at an earlier really has great disadvantages. After being together for 25 years (I guess), they decided to end their marriage as they suddenly realized they simply aren't meant for each other.

That's one thing I don't want to happen to my friends who married at an early age. Of course, that's also something I don't want to happen to me (even if I don't plan to marry at an early age).

It is imperative for us to be anxious of our life as well as the lives of those people who could be affected by our decisions. If we plan to build a family, it is our responsibility to give a good life to our future partner and children. A good life means giving our kids good education, providing them their daily needs, making them good persons, and providing them a dependable and trust-worthy family. It also means giving our partner the honest lover and best friend that he/she could ever have.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Depende rin naman talaga sa gusto nung tao. Malay natin, ang goal pala nila talaga ay magkapamilya. For some, 25 is on the late side when it comes to getting married. These are the people who want to watch their kids grow up (and keep up with them).

alwaysanxious said...

May mga nakilala rin akong mga tao na ganito ang paniniwala. Tipong kailangan talaga eh nakapag-asawa na sila by 25. Oo nga naman, maganda iyong hindi ganun kalaki ang agwat niyo ng mga anak mo.

Siguro, ang nakakapanghinayang ay iyong idea na karamihan sa mga ka-batch ko eh biglaan ang pagbubuntis.

Anonymous said...

This is a very nice and well written entry. I share the same sentiments with you on saying na wala naman sa edad ang pag-bubuntis or having a family. I think it is this time as well when we are young and strong that we explore every opportunity possible while we can. Kung ano a man ang ma-eenjoy sa buhay.

Pero hanga pa rin naman ako dun sa ibang ma-agang nag-asawa. me mga kaibigan din akong me mga anak na pero since very supportive ang family they go on with their dreams pa rin, either become a rock star or climb a mountain. I guess it differs ok lng to have a family early as long you take responsibility and still enjoy the finest things in life.

By the just bloghopped here... :-)

alwaysanxious said...

^ Thanks for sharing your insights. Visted your blog already. Great pictures! :)
****
But for those people who aren't from a well-off family, unexpected pregnancy would be a great challenge in fulfillin their goals (in case hindi ang magkapamilya ang goal nila). Maraming kailangang i-sakripisyo. Of course,they have to prioritize the future of their kids.