Pages

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Passion for Theater

As a kid, I already found myself attached with the arts (e.g. performing arts). I was active in the speech and drama clubs both in GS and HS (different schools). I found serenity and freedom being part of a drama club. However, back in college, I never had the courage to try joining a theater group (Oops, but I did try to join the choir and pops orchestra, but I didn’t make it). Such could be attributed to the high inferiority complex I had given that I came from the province. Even if I was in Manila most of the time, I didn’t much opportunity to experience the theater (except for those required in school – thanks to my literature classes; any classmate here who still remembers “Bilog”?) since I don’t have enough money and going home late was not acceptable then.

Now, I’m trying to make up with all these missed opportunities by being a supporter of the Philippine Theater (as I don’t think I can still be able to participate – try theater acting – as I’m old and I’ve other responsibilities). However, it is quite disheartening that there are still a lot of people who view theater-watching (as a hobby) something eccentric. Others think that it’s a waste of money or it’s too expensive (e.g. my mother, but she’s old and she doesn’t appreciate arts that much).

Observe that most people would only watch a play (mostly musical) if the show is popular (e.g. Avenue Q) or if it has a popular cast. This reminds me of a college classmate’s question after watching ‘TP’s Mulan’. “So sino ba ang mga kilalang personalities ditto (referring to popular TV personalities). But that’s not the point of watching a play. Not all TV/Movie personalities can do a live show. IF you have already familiarized yourself with the local theater, you’d know that there are non-showbiz actors (stage actors for that matter) who are way better (can execute lines and act very well) than those known celebrities.
But you know, sometimes that ‘popular cast’ idea doesn’t work. For example, even if “Art” is a star-studded play, I had a hard time inviting friends or other people in my network to watch the show. There seems to be something they don’t find attractive about theater. Some think it’s an elitist thing (duh!). While others think it is simply a ‘boring’ activity (another duh!).

Anyway, I asked a friend if she’s interested to watch “Insiang”. I wasn’t surprised with her reply (but I’m a bit frustrated). “Ang layo naman. Kailangan may auto.” So I tried gauging her interest again for a different stage-play, ‘Dogeaters’(another straight-play), her reply, if I’m watching a play, gusto ko iyong siguradong masasayahan ako.” Okay, so I just suggested to her to watch the re-run of Avenue Q (It’s impossible for her not to be happy).

Does a person have to be ‘passionate’ about theater to learn to appreciate its worth? Can it not be treated like movie-going? You don’t have to be an aficionado to have an interest to watch a movie. I just wish the same goes for theater-watching.

Most are afraid to take a risk in theater/play-watching. There’s a fear that we might not be able to get back our money’s worth. It’s given that it’s really an expensive venture or hobby (the cheapest so far that I know is P250 for TP shows if you’ve student ID). But given that there are lesser stage-plays than movies, I think there’s a greater chance that most of them are good. Don’t you think.

We’re losing good Pinoy Films (of course, Independent Movies excluded). And I think, theater is an alternative in viewing and experiencing Filipinos’ talent in the performing arts (script-writing, acting, music, etc.).

Real acting, no retake, no censorship (at least minimal), these are just some of the good things that theater can offer (that I don’t think you can experience in movies).

It’s good to listen to the albums of our favorite singers/bands. But you know it’s different when you hear them sing live. There are lots of surprises – more passionate, real, and powerful. I think it’s pretty much the same with theater.

You can find links to different local theater productions on the lowerleft sidebar of this blog. Check out their on-going and upcoming shows. Analyze what interests you. Then, risk. There’s always something good about risking.

4 comments:

missingpoints said...

I think people watching plays only for the actors or for enjoyment and laughs is akin to watching only blockbuster Hollywood films with name actors. It's a shallow kind of appreciation. But let's face it, most people don't like to think. Which is why entertainment/art like theater is difficult to sell. (That and the fact that it costs at least twice the most expensive movie ticket.)

alwaysanxious said...

"Thinking is hard work."
Since it's hard work, they'd rather not think. Sadness. But I still try my best to influence close friends (at least)to appreciate theater.

missingpoints said...

Plus it's expensive. You and I, for example, are adults with artistic proclivities and disposable income to match the appetite.

Consider teenagers or adults with growing families. A P700 ticket to a play is more than enough to get 5 people in a decent cinema. Sigurado pa sila sa experience.

alwaysanxious said...

Yes it is really expensive. But is there a way to lessen ticket costs? (parang wala ata?). But you know, it's way cheaper than let's say in Singapore (Plano kong manood nun ng Phantom of the Opera, kala ko presyuhang Pinas lang din. Kamahalan pala).

It's hard to market theater. Luckily, there bloggers (from theater and fans) who devote most of their posts on theater updates (e.g. dennis marasigan, gibbs cadiz).