Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Verdict

Sometime in November 2000, was the first time I joined a mobilization. DLSU joined the mobilization calling for the resignation of the then president Estrada. I was very much eager to join the rally for the simple reason that the allegations against the former president were atrocious – he has lost the moral ascendancy to lead and he has liabilities to the country. Some of my classmates actually joined the rally to be excused from class.

Everything that happened is still vivid in my memory. The former SC President (Jolina) leading the chant: “Bayan, bayan, bayan ko. Ano’ng nangyayari sa’yo? Erap mag-resign na.” ; the traffic we’ve created along Taft Avenue; and the magnitude and diversity of people.

I was 17 then. Now, I’m 24. And only now that the verdict against the former President has been made. But I’m happy that finally, justice has been served.

Several Implications (Good & Bad):

  • Apparently, the justice system in the country is not that ailing. Justice can still be served.
  • Precedent. Well, we can also convict another ex-President.
  • Such decision gives us a “respectable” position in the international scene. We may be one of the most corrupt country in the world but we've proven that the people can work together in order to make the corrupt liable.
  • I’m not sure as to what next steps Erap’s camp is planning. But honestly, there’s still a bit fear in me. It’s not impossible for this camp to go wild. I just hope they won’t. It wouldn’t help Erap anyway.

0 comments: