Pages

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Blogging World

It was Nikki Manalo (a classmate back in HS) who introduced me to the world of blogging. Since then, I have become a blog enthusiast. I browsed through my old posts in the old tabulas blog. Apparently, some of the articles/entries are mere personal things. It was literally an on-line personal diary. I’ve shared to people what I’ve been doing and feeling – it’s not something that is so socially relevant. Well, even if I’ve some “socially-relevant” posts, those that are not-so-useful (nonsense for that matter) are afloat.

My entries have somehow relatively improved (I guess). Content-wise, entries have become somehow socially-relevant – something that could be a springboard for “good” discussions. I guess, in terms of grammar/sentence construction and even use of words, I have also improved a little. I’ve been trying to exert extra effort to read grammar/writing references (e.g. Strunk and White’s Element of Style, other online sources). I’ve also been struggling to widen my vocabulary. Whenever I read books/references, I take note of words I don’t know and look for their meanings/synonyms.

Considering that I have less time and less people to talk to about various things, my blog has become a venue for sharing my stance on issues, observations in the society, experiences in life (not that too-diary type). It has also become some sort of channel to practice how to write well.

On my third year as a blogger, I feel glad that I am able to widen my audience (at least there are some people who read my blog). Having a bunch of people reading my blog isn’t about fishing for compliments. It’s more welcoming reactions that will somehow contribute in developing my critical-thinking skills. It’s also about being able to share to other people my experiences and insights with the aim that they will learn a bit from these.

-----First Write-up-----

Technically, the first write-up for my blog was written sometime in September. I can’t recall the occurrences why I had my first blog post in October. Anyhow, during those days, I was in an ambiguous state in line with my job application. I was in a dilemma of venturing into a call center job. As time goes by, things change, even plans about life. While I was reading through this old post, I re-think and laugh about some things I’ve mentioned. Many didn’t happen. Along this re-post are some reactions (in bold).

On Cue: Never stop applying for job.

Posted by huami at 02:48 am on October 1st, 2003.

Never stop applying for job.

Even in a Call Center?

I have always dreamt of working in an office wherein I can use my degree in Political Science. Whenever people ask me what are my plans after graduation, I always answer them, “Probably, I’ll work in a government agency, for a politician (Somehow, this happened), or teach in a University (This has yet to happen) (if I already have my Masters in Public Administration or Development Policy) (I’m doing my M.A. studies now but it’s neither MPA or Development Policy – I’m venturing into Communication. Still, I am aspiring to teach). But now, it seems that all of these are just mere illusions.

I was very much fascinated with my practicum experience. I’ve learned a lot from it. That’s why I become interested to work in that office. I supposed that it was a good avenue wherein I could use my skills about Politics (I’m not an expert though). In that organization, I met good and intelligent people. They’ve inspired me so much [to the extent that I hope I’ll be as intellectual as them (only in my dreams!)]. Hence, I submitted my Curriculum Vitae (I’ve learned this term from a friend. I’m dunce! I don’t even know what’s a CV. It’s just the same with resume!) with the wish that they will consider me.

Months have passed but nothing happened. Alas, it seemed that they didn’t like me to be in their office as a paid employee (Ouch!). For what reason, I still don’t know. But that did not thwart me from helping them. At least, I can still use my “little” intellectual prowess (though I don’t get paid). Okay dear, it’s time to move on!!!

It was in the first week of July that I started looking for a job. I applied in a pre-school but they didn’t respond. I am fond of teaching that’s why I was very eager to seek teaching jobs even in thepre-school level. But still nothing happened. There were a lot of applicants in that school. Probably, they were more competent that I am considering that I am not an education graduate.

Here I go! My friend sent me a text message about a job opening in a Language Institute (they were looking for English Teachers). It caught my attention because it is a teaching job and it is just near STRATA 2000 (where the “former” practicum office is located). Again, I applied.

I left my resume on a Tuesday. The next day, I received a text message asking me to come for an interview that same day. It was a panel interview (We were four interviewees. I was the youngest.) Then, I was asked to take the TOEFL and TOIYC exams. After three days, they asked me to report to the institute. At last, I was hired. (But until now I am not yet resolved whether I really passed the exams or the institute was simplyt in dire need of teachers.)

The work was a bit harsh. I had to deal with people of different culture (Koreans – I should have watched Ariang TV). Moreover, I had to wake up at 4:30 am in order to get to the institute by 7:40 am (10 minutes late would mean P30 deduction-too much, for a salary of P50 an hour). I had fun with the work because I enjoyed dealing with those Korean Kids (the dream of teaching was somehow fulfilled). They were like little brothers and sisters to me. Not only that, I was able to have a Korean friend (my 17 year old student). But then, I got tired of the routine (I hate doing the same things everyday). I got very sick (I always had to take a day leave in a week). I had my check-up and the doctor told me, “Take a rest. If you won’t, all those money you’ll earn will just be used for your hospital bills.” (Oh no! Hospital Bills? I think the only thing that my salary could buy would be vitamins, paracetamol, attapulgite, and other medicines that could be bought in a sari-sari store.) Hence, I took a leave. (Oh well, I guess I am really unhealthy. I got sick often – my body’s got a surplus of diseases – low blood pressure, low red blood count, hemorrhoids, irregular period, asthma, life-time knee injury, and more)

It was then a good opportunity to file a leave because I only have one student left (it seemed that they won’t be giving me another student anymore since most of the students were leaving for Korea). Duh! If I have allowed that to happen, I would just be earning a hundred bucks a day! Considering the fact that I have to commute, I might only take home around forty bucks a day – P800 for 20 days work! [Where will that 40 bucks take me? It won’t even be enough for a piece of donut and 2 cups of coffee (typical coffee in take for me should at least be 2 cups) at Mister Donut or Dunkin Donut.] These things made me think that the work I had is not stable (No Koreans, No Money Policy!). It was about time to move on again!

Having nothing to do at home, I am now a captive of the Internet. This is a great opportunity for me to do job hunting. (I am still Internet-Dependent. And, yes, I’m into job-hunting again) Duh! Call Centers are on a blast!!! In all job sites I’ve visited, majority of posted job opportunities are call center related. This is not good! (Okay, calm down girl! Just read on the Classified Ads section of the Inquirer and Manila Bulletin.) Again? The Job Market of Inquirer and Manila Bulletin’s Classified Ads section are both jam-packed of Call Centers’ job opening advertisements. (Am I having nightmares? Come on wake me up!)

Way back in College (which happened to be just a few months ago), I’ve never thought of working in a call center. I told myself, “Please, not a in a call center. Never, not until I am desperate.” Oh! But, opportunities are so cruel… It seems that the only flexible industry nowadays is the call center industry.

I’ve sent e-mails to different companies (including those call center agencies). Every day, I check my e-mail account to see if anyone replied. There were replies. Sadly, all of these came from call center agencies. None of the regular companies I have applied responded. (Huh! What am I supposed to do?)

I took the risk of applying in call center agencies. Now I have to face its consequences. I have to attend to phone interviews and preliminary examinations. I already had three phone interviews (I was the one who called for the first two interviews. I had the third phone interview a while ago. In fairness, the initiative for the interview came from the agency). I was supposedly scheduled for two preliminary examinations from two different call centers but I didn’t arrive. I think I was still hesitant with the idea that I’ll be working in a call center.

Before receiving the call, I have just sent a message to a friend:

Hello! Hay! D ko pala kaya! I’m not that desperate to work in a call center. Meron akong exams at interview pero d ko grinab. Akala ko kaya ko nang tanggapin yung ganon. Teacher na lang talaga kaya lang wala pa ring students. What work pa ba ang naka-offer? Lahat kasi ng nasa classified ads eh call center. Ü Hehe! La lang gusto ko lang i-share.

In no less than thirty minutes, my phone rang. It was a withheld call (meaning, preview of the number is unvailable). It was a call from Sykes! (An international call center in Makati.) JM (the phone interviewer) scheduled me for an examination tomorrow! He told me that I should be in a Business Attire! (That made me think, “Why Am I supposed to be in Business Attire if I am going to work as Customer Service Representative who happens to handle phone calls ?”) Anyway, that’s their rule.
Now, I’m again in a dilemma. Should I take the exams or just let the opportunity walk off? Taking the exams won’t do me harm at all. Should I give this thing a chance? Well, after all, it will just take me an hour and a half to finish the test. Okay! I’ll take the challenge. Nevertheless, passing the exams is a different issue.

Of course, I want to pass. If I won’t pass I’ll feel unintelligent (As if I am intelligent! I’m sure I’m not an idiot!). But, I just wish that before the results will be released, I had found a good job already. This optimism sounds scary (usually, exam results in a call center are immediately released).

Acceptance of my application in a call center will be a doomsday! I haven’t desired for Keka’s lifestyle (movie of Katya Santos). I might end up being a psychotic (but not a killer – maybe just a little PLEMPLEM) if I find myself working in a call center. No! I don’t want to sleep in the morning and stay awake at night. I don’t want to compete with the vampires and the manananggals who are conscious at night looking for blood to suck or meat to eat.

If you hear this line:

On the phone: “Hello this is Carla at your service! How can I help you sir/ma’am?”

Oh, oh! It would simply mean that I’ve turned out to be desperate.

I’ll never stop applying for job until I finally found the one that suits me. Applying for job even in a call center? No problem with me (Taking series of examinations is intellectually healthy). But what if I am accepted? Should I say yes? If I do, it means I am totally bankrupt and hopeless.

Author’s note:

I have nothing against those people working in Call Center. It’s a decent job! But then, I’m just expressing my thoughts of “me working in a call center.” It’s never an ideal work for me.

….MASYADONG MAHABA ANG POST NA ITO!...

0 comments: